Saturdays were busy days. The kitchen windows were washed, the lamp chimneys were washed and the lamps filled with kerosene. Waxing the living room floor with paste wax was my usual Saturday job. It was hard on the knees but I liked it because mom let me listen to the radio while I worked. I listened to Jack Armstrong the all American boy and Stella Dallas which was a serial story about a woman who supposedly had lots of hard luck in her life. She cried a lot. I would shine the floor by getting one of the little kids to sit on an old flannel blanket and pulling them around on the floor. I don’t remember to much about dusting the furniture but it got dusty pretty fast because of the gravel highway close to the house. I remember one rule. When you dust the boys bedroom be sure to leave everything on top of Roys chest of drawers alone. Roy was always working on watches and he had each piece neatly laid out in some geometric design that made sense only to him. If you moved one piece the whole thing had to be reorganized.

Sunday was a day of rest so part of Sunday dinner was done ahead of time. We all worked together butchering the chickens. While we butchered our own we also butchered and cleaned the chickens for the town people who had ordered them the day before If Al was available he caught the chickens. Mom followed with a bucket of boiling water.. She chopped off the heads , then dipped the chicken in the boiling water to loosed the feathers. Whoever was available plucked the feathers. Mom butchered the chickens and cut them up to prepare them for frying the next day.

Saturday was also bath day. When we were young a big galvanized tub was set up in the kitchen. Once again we had to carry water from the well and heat it on the kitchen stove. Mom washed and rinsed our hair in a separate basin before we got into the tub. A couple of chairs with blankets draped across gave us a little privacy. We took turns getting into the tub. When one of us got out the next one got in. When all the baths were taken the same water was used to scrub the kitchen floor, then the back porch got cleaned up.

We were all scrubbed and ready to go to church on Sunday morning and to town on Saturday night. After all the hard work all week Saturday evening in town was a big social gathering place for all the farmers. Each family seemed to have their own special place to park. Ours was in the center of town in front of the JC Penny store and next to the drinking fountain . Almost everyone walked past this corner to do their shopping and they would all stop and talk to mom. I always took a couple of the younger brothers and sisters by the hand and walked up and down main street greeting my country friends and looking in the store windows.

Mom and dad usually did the grocery shopping before they started socializing to much. The grocer usually knew all the latest happenings in the community so several minutes were spent talking to him before the actual shopping began. The grocery list from our house was not very long. It usually consisted of Flour, sugar, baking powder, coffee, salt crackers and occasionally peanut butter. Customers stood at the counter and the grocer walked around the store picked out the items the customer wanted and brought them back to the counter. The peanut butter was scooped out of a barrel and slapped onto a waxed paper, folded up and tied with string. The flour and sugar came in cotton fabric sacks. The sacks were eventually used as towels for drying dishes.. Everybody saved the string and every household had a ball of string in the cupboard..

The men congregated in the local pool hall. Weather permitting the door was always open.. The place was dark, dimly lit with a bar and stools across one side The farmers came in not so much to play pool but complain about the weather and to find out all the agriculture news .The prices the Kansas City markets were paying for the crops was especially important. Women did not go into the pool hall . I think they were allowed to but none of them did. By eight thirty or nine o’clock most of the families went home.

Return to stories